From: k...@decmgt.csc.cuhk.hk (SO Kwok Tsun)
Subject: Announcement: NCSA HTTPd 1.5 (fwd)
Date: 1995/11/11
organization: The Chinese University of Hong Kong
reply-to: k...@cuhk.hk
newsgroups: cuhk.csc.forum,hk.comp.pc

Coming soon:
ftp.cuhk.hk/pub/packages/info-systems/www/ncsa/httpd/Unix/ncsa_httpd/httpd_1.5

[Original: uiuc.cs.www,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.infosystems.www.misc,comp.infosystems.www.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc,uiuc.test]
[Author: Brandon Long <bl...@uiuc.edu>]

Announcing NCSA HTTPd 1.5

Well, the wait is finally over.  NCSA HTTPd 1.5 is finally here, in all
of its glory.  After 5 months of beta testing (has it been that long),
the server is now ready for prime time.

This was a fairly major rewrite of the code in many places, making,
we hope, it easier to understand and modify to your hearts content.
(line count src tree NCSA HTTPd 1.5: 15142, NCSA HTTPd 1.4.2: 8704)

Amoung the various improvements:
----------------------------------
*) Major code changes.  Its still not pretty, but its not as bad as it was
*) VirtualHost support via either multiple servers or single server on multiple
   IPs
*) Multiple Directory Indexes
*) Redirects from .htaccess files
*) MD5 Authentication
*) Kerberos v4 and v5 Authentication
*) Connection KeepAlive
*) DBM support for .htpasswd,.htgroup, and .htdigest files
*) NIS support for .htpasswd,.htgroup, and .htdigest files
*) Enhanced Access Control including password OR domain protection
*) Multiple RefererIgnore
*) More logging options
*) Configurable DNS levels
*) Security protection enhancements for linked files and weird URL attempts
*) non-buffered i/o for CGI scripts
*) internal imagemap support
*) CGI anywhere REALLY WORKS now (any method, specify the CGI mime type
   anywhere, and all that jazz)

We've also done our best to try and make the documentation more readable,
as well as making it easier to find the information you are looking for.

Feel free to try the new, improved, NCSA HTTPd 1.5.  Now available from
ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Web/httpd/Unix/ncsa_httpd/httpd_1.5
and
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/

We also have a new OneStep Downloader and configure system to help you
get a basic server running right away.
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs/setup/OneStep.html

Brandon

The NCSA HTTPd Server Development Team
Beth Frank, Brandon Long, Carlos Pero, Mike Shapiro, Stan Guillory,
	Carlos Varela, and the little things which go bump in the night.

--
 Brandon Long		"I think, therefore I am Confused." - RAW
 HTTPd/SDG/NCSA/UIUC  "Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer."