Newsgroups: net.news.map
From: sun!kas
Date: Thu Apr  7 01:39:31 1983
Subject: Usenet logical map

Below is the latest Usenet logical map, based on the directory sent
out at the end of March by Mark and Karen Horton.  The map is now
three pages - Europe has been split off on to a separate page.
Assembly is as it has been in the past - the first two pages fit side
by side and should be glued, taped, or otherwise joined together.
The left hand page is first below, followed by the right hand page,
then Europe.

The map is up to 448 sites in North America plus 11 sites in Europe.
It is becoming increasingly three-dimensional.  Because of this, there
is one crossover on the map, as well as seven sites that appear twice.
Those sites are:  burl, esquire, ihps3, inmet, npoiv, princeton, and
uw-beaver.

Reading the map:  -, |, and + indicate connections.  Lines never pass
through a +, which always indicate where the connecting line ends or
changes direction.  Logical buses are represented by =.  This means
that a site such as hplabs is indicated by the entire string of
characters as follows:  +===hplabs+=+========+.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please send mail to me at
the address below.  Corrections should be sent to cbosgd!map.
Thanks again to Mark and Karen for their help.

				Karen Shannon
				decvax!sun!kas

******************
* Left hand page *
******************

USENET LOGICAL MAP - April 2, 1983
   az70         aus86  omsvax  orstcs   kirk         ism750  n44a  images  ico
     |            |        |      |       |             |     |       |     |
 arizona  ssovax--+=icalqa=+   hp-pcd--hp-cvd     cfib--+=====+==ima==+=====+
     |                     |      |                     |     |    |  |     |
   kpno     nbires--cires  |      | hplabsb  hplabsc  inmet  imd  ipa | ism780
     |                |    |      |    |        |                     |
cvl  +====+=hao=======+=+--+===hplabs+=+========+-----sri-unix-------cca--csin
 |        |           | |            |                                |
rlgvax--+ |   crystal | csu-cs      hpda-------+      brunix--rayssd  | cg-d
        | |      |    |              |         |         |            |  |
presby--seismo--uwvax |             hpdb--hpdc |      yale-comix--+===+==+===+==
  |       |           |                    |   |                  |   |      |
burdvax   | rocksvax  |       avsdF     hptabu |  twg             | sultan   |
          |   |       |         |              |   |              |          |
ritcv--rochester   menlo70    avsdS--atd--dsd--fortune--wdl1      |          |
        |             |         |                  |              |          |
   rocks34  syteka--sytek     avsdT    p500vax--megatest--sun--decwrl--amd70 |
                      |                            |       |      | |        |
           varian--zehntel--zps                  ubvax  altos86   | flairvax |
                      |                                           |          |
           crimson    |      tekchips  tekid                  turtlevax      |
              |       |          |       |                                   |
    bronze--tekmdp----+=======tektronix==+=======+--ucbcad--+====ucbvax======+
              |       |                  |       |          |    |    |
           dadla-a  iddic       reed--teklabs  tekcad     populi | ucbonyx
              |       |                  |                       |
   dadla-b--dadla  tektinker  sequel--ogcvax--metheus--cdi    ucsfcgl   maxvax
           dadla-d         u1100s----------------------------u1100a    pegasus
                              |                                 |         |
       +======================|==npois============+-------------+=========+=====
       |                      |    |              |             |
       |             whuxlb   |  wbux5    sescent | cbosg     whuxk  hogpb------
       |               |      |                 | |  |                 |
     npoiv------------eisx--pyuxbb     osu-dbs--cbosgd--nscs---rmc   hogpc  v---
      | |              |      |                   |             |           |
      | |    abnjh--pyuxll    |          mhuxd  mhuxi--aluxz  mork-cb    t--n
      | |                     |            |      |                         |
      | |          pyuxmm--pyuxdd  burl--mhuxv--mhuxj                       s
      | |                     |            |      |
      | |          pyuxcc--+==pyuxjj==+--mhuxm    |
      | |                  |          |    |      |
      | |                pyuxk------pyuxl  |      |
      | |                  |          |    |      |
      | |                pyuxss     pyuxvv |      | uicsg  uiuccsl  moria
      | |                                  |      |   |       |       |
      | | research         hlexa--bwkna--mhuxh    | uicsl--+==+=uiucdcs====+----
      | |  |                               |      |        |               |
      | |  |  rabbit        mhb5c--+=mhuxa=+      |   uiucuxc--uiuceml  parsec
      | |  |   |                |  |       |      |        |               |
      | +--alice    princeton--mhb5b     mhuxt----+   uiucsrl   ihtnt    ctvax
      |      |                             |                      |
      |    mhtsa-----+====eagle=======+====+            ihlpb   ihldt  ihps1
      |      |       |                |    |              |       |       |
      |    mh3bs  allegra--psuvax  mit-vax | iham1  ihlts | ixlpa | ixn5k |
      |                               |    |   |      |   |   |   |   |   |
      |          dvlcn  slinac    masscomp |   +======+===+===+===+===+===+=====
      |              |  |                  |   |      |       |   |   |   |
      | wheps   psi  sask--hssg40--adec23  | ihnet  ihps4   ixlpc | ihwld |
      |   |      |   |                     |                      |       |
      | zeppo   utah-cs--utah-gr--pwa-b    | inmet--esquire     ihnp1  ih4ep
      |   |        |                       |   |
      +===+========+=======================+===+================================

*******************
* Right hand page *
*******************

                                                         Karen Shannon (sun!kas)
  alberta--ubc-vision--sfucmpt    wjh12--foxvax1     utcsstat--utcsrgv--trigraph
            |  |   |                |                                |
    ubc-medgen | mprvaxa  grkermit--genrad--mitccc  wateng--watdaisy | dciem
               |                    |    |                    |      |   |
 teltone--uw-beaver--uw-june--uw70  |    linus--security   watmath---+==utzoo==+
          |                |        |    |   |              |   |        |     |
  microsoft--fluke--vax1   uw-vlsi  | wivax  vaxine   watarts  watcgl   hcr    |
      |      |   |  |               |   |                                |     |
      | ssc-vax  vax2   vortex  unh |   | medman--cwruecmp--cwrunix      |     |
      |                    |     |  |   |            |                   |     |
======++=============+=====+=decvax=+===+============+===============+===+=====+
       |                                                             |         |
ittapp | ndcuts  tpdcvax     twin40--web40  mi-cec--idis--pitt--dri0 | adiron  |
  |    |   |         |                  |            |               |  |      |
  +====ittvax==+=====+--bunker  ikonas--+===+=mcnc=+=+==+---+====duke+==+--phs |
  |     |      |     |                      |      |    |   |    |             |
qumix  sii  dcdwest  wxlvax         uvacs--ncsu   tucc--+unc+  ucf-cs--uf-che  |
               |                            |      |      |      |             |
trwspf  trwspp +=====sdcsvax===+--sdchema  msdc   ecs  brl-bmd  fau            |
    |     |    |     |    |    |            |           |                      |
trw-unix--+    |  sdcsla  |  philabs--+    emory   udrelay   unm-ivax--nmtvax  |
    |          |     |    |    |      |                         |              |
sdcrdcf--sdccsu3  phonlab |  micomvax | cmcl1  nybcb  rocky2  lanl-a  cubs45   |
  |      |     |  |       |           |   |      |       |      |      |       |
bmcg  sdcattb--sdcatta  noscvax       +===+====cmcl2=====+======+---esquire---+|
         |                                                      |             ||
      sdcarl           tpsa--spanky         e  f  g  j  (hocs*) |    sbcs     ||
                               |            |  |  |  |          |     |       ||
           5941ux--machaids--hocda       d--+=hocsb==+--k       |    peri     ||
            |                  |            |                   |     |       ||
==houxm=====+ (houx*) q  r  y  +==houxz===+=+----hou5d--hou5a   +===floyd====+||
            |         |  |  |  |          |               |     |            |||
----b--+==+houxa+==+--+=houxi==+--p     ihps3           hou5e  vax135        |||
       |  |  |  |  |                                      |     |   |        |||
-h--j--k  c  f  o  hound  uofm-cv                npoiv  hou5c   | cornell    |||
                            |                      |      |     |   |        |||
    bpa--sb6  scbhq   +---mb2b--uofm-hfh         hou5f--hou5b   | uw-beaver  |||
           |    |     |                                         |            |||
att3--ll1--+====sb1===+--burl--kcwin--we53      houxe  orion--ariel          |||
       |                  |           |           |      |      |            |||
   +===+==otuxa=======+---+====we13===+-----------+=lime=+----houti--houca   |||
   |        |                         |           |      |      |            |||
we04-3b  nwuxc  inuxa  inuxb  inuxd  uniq       hoh-2  houxg  deimos         |||
   |        |     |      |      |                                            |||
princeton   +=====+==inuxc======+----ixn5c--druxs--drux[h-r,t-z]             |||
            |                          |                                     |||
--------pur-ee--iuvax--isrnix          |    iwlc8   iwsl1                    |||
          |  |                         |        |   |                        |||
 minn-ua  | ecn-pa--ecn-pb--ecn-ed     | iwlc7--iwsl3--iwsl2                 |||
   |      |                            |        |                            |||
 umn-cs  purdue--------pucc-h--pur-phy |     ihps2----iwsl4--iwlc6           |||
   |      |              |             |        |     |   |                  |||
 stolaf  ncrday--cincy  pucc-i   ihhfl |        |  iwsl5  iwsl6              |||
  |   |                             |  |        |                            |||
ihps3 |  ihnss  ixn5h  iheds  ihn5i |  |        | ihuxk--ih1ap               |||
  |   |    |      |      |      |   |  |        |   |      |                 |||
+=+=+=+==+=+=+===++==+===+===+==+=+=ihnp4=======+===+======+                 |||
|   |    |   |   |   |       |    |   |                                      |||
| ihpad  | ixlpb | ixn5e   ihtpa  | ihux[a-j,l-u,w,x]                        |||
|        |       |                |                                          |||
ixn5d  ihima   ixn5c   cdlncch--laidbak--trsvax                              |||
======harpo==================================================================+++

****************
* European map *
****************

EUROPE

                         North American Map

                               philabs

                      regi   vu44 | diku--ibt  edcaad
                       |      |   |   |          |
                      ukc--+==+=mcvax=+=====+--edee--edmiru
                           |          |
                          vub      dutesta

From: k...@sun.UUCP (Karen Shannon)
Newsgroups: net.news.map
Date: Sun, 10-Jul-83 19:01:10 EDT

Below is the latest Usenet logical map, based on the directory sent
out at the beginning of July by Mark and Karen Horton.  The map is now
four pages - Europe, Australia, drux* and the "leaf nodes" of ihnp4
have all been split off on to a separate page.  Assembly is as it has
been in the past (with a third page added) - the first three pages fit side
by side and should be glued, taped, or otherwise joined together.
The left hand page is first below, followed by the center page,
the right hand page, then Europe.  Pages are separated by ^L's.

The map is up to 519 sites in North America plus 29 sites in Europe.
and 1 in Australia.  It is becoming increasingly three-dimensional.
Because of this, there is one crossover on the map, as well as a number
(16) of connections that are keyed in with numbers (so that (1) connects
to (1) and so on).

characters as follows:  +====+=hao===+====+.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please send mail to me at
the address below.  Corrections should be sent to cbosgd!map.
Thanks again to Mark and Karen for their help.

				Karen Shannon
				decvax!sun!kas

USENET LOGICAL MAP - July 10,1983
                   orstcs  kirk  ssovax--interlab  ism750  ism780  images  ico
                       |    |       |                   |     |       |     |
 arizona  denelcor     | hp-cvd  icalqa--omsvax   cfib--+=====+==ima==+=====+---
    |      |           |    |       | |       |         |     |    |  |
 kpno  csu-cs--hp-dcd--hp-pcd   (9) | aus86  (11)     inmet  imd  ipa | rayssd--
    |    |                 |     |  |                                 |
    +====+=hao===+====+--+=+===+=+=hplabs==========+-----sri-unix-----cca-------
    |            |    |  | |   |     |             |                  | |
   (5)         cires  |  | | oliveb  hpda------+  hplabsc  yale-comix | csin
                 |    |  | |         |         |                  |   |
         opus--nbires |  | hplabsb  hpdb--hpdc | twg      packet  +===+======+==
                 |    |  |                 |   |  |            |  |          |
      utastro--ut-ngp |  |    avsdF     hptabu |  | wdl1   sco |  | flairvax |
                      |  |      |              |  |  |       | |  | |        |
            nsc--menlo70 |    avsdS--atd--dsd--fortune------amd70 | |  ios   |
                      |  |      |                  |           |  | |   |    |
   varian  syteka--sytek |    avsdT    p500vax--megatest--sun--decwrl--qubix |
        |             |  |                         |       |      |          |
  (15)--+===+=======zehntel====================+  ubvax  altos86  turtlevax  |
            |       | |                        |                             |
       zinfandel  zps |  (13)   tekid  tekcad  +------------+       ucsfcgl  |
                      |    |      |      |                  |           |    |
bronze--+==tekmdp==+--+====+=+==tektronix+==+==+----ucbcad--+====ucbvax=+====+
        |     |       |      |           |  |  |       |                |
  crimson   dadla   iddic  tekchips    reed | tekecs  ucbesvax     ucbtopaz
            | | |     |      |              |                           |
      dadla-a | |   tekgds   |   sequel--ogcvax--metheus--cdi       populi
              | |            |              |
     dadla-b--+ dadla-d  teklabs  hogpd   (11)    hocsf--hocs[d-e,g-k,t]   wb2--
                                    |               |
   (4)    eisx--npoiv--npois--------+=====+====hogpc+========+------------------
    |       |                             |                  |
  whuxlb--pyuxll--abnjh   astrovax  (8)  (6)  cbrap  cbosg  houx[b,e,g,n,o-q,t]
    |                         |      |           |    |
  gummo       pyuxqq     princeton   |  osu-dbs--+====+==cbosgd=+====+--mddc
    |            |            |      |           |    |         |    |
    |      pyuxk |  circe--ulysses--mhuxa----mhuxi  cbscd5    nscs  (1)
    |         |  |                   |       |   |    |         |
    | pyuxvv  |  |    pyuxjj  pyuxcc |     aluxz |  cbscc     cbrmc
    |   |     |  |       |       |   |       |   |              |
    |   +=====+==+===pyuxi===+===+--mhuxm    |   |           mork-cb
    |   |        |      |    |   |   |  |    |   |
    | u1100a  pyuxss  pyuxhh | pyuxl | mhuxd |   |
    |   |                    |       |  |    |   |
    | u1100s       pyuxdd--pyuxnn   mhuxv    |   |  uicsg  ccvaxa   moria
    |                        |       |       |   |    |       |       |
    |                      pyuxmm   mhuxr  mhuxj |  uicsl--+==+=uiucdcs====+----
    |                                |       |   |         |      |        |
    |        research               mhuxh----mhuxt    uiucuxc--uiucsrl  parsec
    |           |                    |         |           |               |
    | rabbit--alice  allegra  hlexa--hlhop     |      uiuceml            ctvax
    |           |       |                      |                           |
    |   +====+==+==+====+=eagle================+                        trsvax
    |   |    |     |
    |   |  mh3bs  (3)      rocks34--rocksvax--sunybcs     burdvax--psuvax
    |   |    |                          |                      |      |
    |   |  mhtsa      crystal--uwvax    | tropix   ritvp    presby  psupdp1
    |   |                        |      |      |   |           |
    |   |  wheps      electrolux |  rochester--ritcv--ccieng5  |  (5)    (12)
    |   |    |                |  |      |                      |   |       |
    |   |  zeppo     cit-vax--+==+======+============seismo====+===+=======+----
    |   |    |                                         |
    +===+====+=========================================+========================

                                                         Karen Shannon (sun!kas)
hscfvax  hscvax  mit-eddie--mit-vax--(3)     utcsstat  utecfa  trigraph  munodie
   |       |         |       |                   |        |        |        |
--n44a--wjh12-----genrad--grkermit--masscomp     +==+==utcsrgv=====+----garfield
           |         |                |             |
brunix--foxvax1      |       kobold--orc   dciem--utzoo--------watmath----------
                     |                             |  |        |     |
-------------------+=+=+=====+===linus======+======+  hcr  watarts  watcgl
                   |   |     |              |
   unh  vortex   wivax | security--vaxine   | cg-d   cwrunix--cwruecmp--medman
    |     |        |   |                    |   |                 |
====+=====+========+===+=====decvax=========|===+=================+============+
                                            |                                  |
         bmcg--felix     sdchema  noscvax   | sbcs  rdin  sunrise  micomz      |
           |                |       |       |   |     |      |       |         |
   (9)--sdcrdcf-------------+==sdcsvax===+--+===+=philabs====+----micomvax     |
         |                     |    |    |  |   |                              |
     trw-unix--scgvaxd      sdccsu3 |    | (12) |  nybcb  rocky2               |
      |    |                |    |  |    |      |    |      |                  |
 trwspf    trwspp      sdcatta--sdcattb  | rna--+====+=cmcl2+=+--cmcl1         |
                          |      |    |  |           |        |                |
                          |    sdcarl |  |        lanl-a   esquire             |
                          |           |  |           |        |                |
                       phonlab-------sdcsla      unm-ivax   cubs45             |
                                                  |    |                       |
                                              unmvax  nmtvax                   |

 cda5d         llkp03  hound  houx[j,h,s,v]                                    |
   |             |      |      |                                               |
-houxz--wbux5  whuxk  houxa  houxk--houxw  hou2[a-b]  houx[c-d,i,l,r,u,y]      |
   |      |      |      |      |      |      |          |                      |
---+======+=====++======+====houxm====+=====++====+=====+--houem               |
                |                           |     |     |                      |
uofm-cv--mb2c  (7)  gatech---msdc--(10)   hocda  (8)   houxf                   |
           |             |   |  |          |  |         |                      |
  hfhrv--mb2b  bpa--sb6--emory  itm  (2)   |  machaids--5941ux                 |
           |        |                 |    |                                   |
scbhq--+===+=sb1====+--+=====burl=+===+--spanky--alfalfa                       |
       |                          |   |    |                                   |
att3--ll1--ll1b  mgweed   (14)  clyde |   tpsa     hou5b                       |
       |            |       |         |              |                         |
tty3b--+==otuxa==+--+=====+=we13======+     hou5d--hou5a   odin                |
       |                  |           |       |      |      |                  |
    nwuxd  inuxb  inuxd  we53--kcwin  uniq  hou5e--hou5f--orion--houca         |
              |      |                        |      |             |           |
     inuxa--+=+======inuxc======+--ixn5c    hou5c  ariel--houti---(6)          |
            |                   |    |               |      |                  |
--------pur-ee--iuvax--isrnix  inuxe |   tesla       |   pegasus--maxvax       |
          |  |                       |     |         |                         |
          | ecn-pa--ecn-pc--ecn-ed   |  cornell----vax135--------floyd-------+ |
          |  |                       |     |                       |         | |
 minn-ua  | ecn-ec  pucc-i           |   (16)                     (4)        | |
   |      |  |        |              |                                       | |
 umn-cs  purdue-----pucc-h--pur-phy  |       cvl--umcp-cs--aplvax            | |
   |      |                          |        |                              | |
 stolaf  ncrday--cincy     (15)      |    +-rlgvax  dvlcn  slinac            | |
   |                        |        |    |   |         |  |                 | |
   +===============ihnp4====+=+======+    | uf-cgrl     sask--hssg40--adec23 | |
   |                 |        |      |    |   |         |                    | |
  (1)     cdlncch--laidbak  (14)    (7)   | beesvax--utah-cs--utah-gr--pwa-b | |
                                          |             |                    | |
------------------------------------------+             |                    | |
                                                        |                    | |
================harpo===================================+====================+=+

  watcecit           uw70                     auvax
     |                |                        |
  wateng    uw-vlsi--uw-june  (16)   mprvaxa  alberta
     |                |         |       |      |
--watdaisy   teltone--+==uw-beaver==+--ubc-vision
                      |          |      |      |
           uvicctr--ssc-vax      |  ubc-medgen |
                      |          |             |
         microsoft--fluke--oz  (13)         sfucmpt
             |                   |
==+==========+===================+===========+
  |  twin40--unc-c  mi-cec--idis--pitt--dri0 | adiron
  |              |           |               | |
  | dvamc--+=====+===mcnc===++===+---+===duke+=+--phs
  |        |          |     |    |   |   |     |
  |   ikonas  (10)--ncsu   tucc--+unc+  (2)  ucf-cs--fau
  |                   |     |      |           |
  |                 uvacs  ecs  brl-bmd      uf-che
  |                   |            |
  |                 ied102      udrelay
  |
  |  ittral  ndcuts  qumix
  |    |       |       |
  +====+==ittvax=======+--bunker--bunkerb
       |       |       |
     wxlvax  dcdwest  sii--hei44

      | Additional Connections:                          |
      |  (1)  cbosgd--ihnp4                              |
      |  (2)  duke--burl                                 |
      |  (3)  eagle--mit-vax                             |
      |  (4)  floyd--whuxlb                              |
      |  (5)  hao--seismo                                |
      |  (6)  hogpc--houca and hogpc--houti              |
      |  (7)  houxm--ihnp4                               |
      |  (8)  houxm--mhuxa                               |
      |  (9)  hplabs--sdcrdcf                            |
      | (10)  ncsu--msdc                                 |
      | (11)  omsvax--ogcvax                             |
      | (12)  philabs--seismo                            |
      | (13)  tektronix--decvax and tektronix--uw-beaver |
      | (14)  we13--ihnp4                                |
      | (15)  zehntel--ihnp4                             |
      | (16)  uw-beaver--cornell                         |

EUROPE

                              North American Map

                                    philabs

    hirst1  ru-cc44  west44            |  ibt      sara70
       |       |       |               |   |          |
       |    ru-cs44  root44       vu44 | diku  nlgvax | vmucnam
       |       |       |           |   |   |     |    |    |
comet--+======ukc======+=====+-----+=mcvax=+=+===+====+====+--vub
               |             |     |    |    |   |    |    |
logica--+===edcaad===+      regi   | dutesta |  zti1  | mcpdp45
        |            |             |         |        |
        | +=edmiru=+ |          philmds   uvapsy   mcpdp34
        | |        | |
       edee--edai--edmrc
        |            |
        +===glasgow==+--glhocus

AUSTRALIA

                    basservax--sdchema--North American Map
                    (australia)

IHNP4 - Leaf nodes

          ihtnt  ihux[a-b,e-f,h-x]  ihps[1-4]  iwlc[5-8]  ixhte  ih1ap
          ihldt    | ihnet  ihnss  ihpad | ih4ep  |  ihnp1 | ihnp3 |
            | ihn5l  ihlts    |   ihtpa  | ihhfl  |  ihu1e | ihu1f |
          iwsl[1-7]   ixn5[d-h,k,o]   iwu1[a-d]  ihima   ihhfl   iheds

DRUX* (Currently isolated)

              druxs--drux[h-r,t-z]